The U.S. Mission in Dar es Salaam is seeking eligible and qualified applicants for the position below:
Position Title: Secretary
Vacancy Number: Dar es Salaam – 2021-025
(70%) Administrative Support
- Provides all administrative services assigned by the GSO.
- Drafts various correspondence, documents, cables, memos, etc. and ensures their proper distribution, delivery, and follow-up. Receives and controls incoming correspondence and communication.
- Dispatches outgoing correspondence and reports.
- Drafts various correspondence, documents, cables, memos, and ensures proper distribution, delivery and/or follow-up.
- Takes meeting notes.
- Organizes and maintains the electronic filing system on the GSO Shared drive.
- Also maintains the GSO Section SharePoint site by ensuring the published information is accurate, complete, and up-to-date.
- Using information from various Department of State databases, including ILMS, DriveCam, and Win T&A, and RPA, locates and compiles information for various reports and briefings.
- Summarizes trends and presents the findings to the GSO officers.
- Manages the GSO calendar. Serves as the Travel Arranger for the GSO officers. Coordinates complex domestic and international travel including all logistics, visas, agenda preparations and processing of expenses after each trip or event.
- Tracks and orders office supplies for the section through ILMS/Ariba. Distributes the supplies throughout the GSO section. Manages the Representational supplies for the Front Office.
- Serves as the primary back-up for the Management Officer Assistant. Handles the clearance and release of Management Policies and Notices and Diplomatic Notes. Provides translation and interpretation services.
(20%) Customer Liaison
- Is the initial coordinator for all visitors to the GSO Section by assigning the contact person for the visitor and ensuring appropriate appointments, programs and/or schedules for the visitor.
- Enters access requests for visitors and escorts them in the office.
- Makes conference room reservations. Assists with translation and interpretation services.
- Maintains the visitors database for the GSO section.
- Serves as a liaison for embassy personnel with other GSO units, including Shipping, Motor Pool, Travel, Housing, Warehouse and Procurement.
- Keeps the GSO officers informed on all issues and developments within the embassy operations, and depending upon the importance and/or sensitivity of the matter, decides whether to direct action to a specific office or individual or bring it to the attention of the S/GSO. Coordinates the POV parking program at post.
- Serves as the primary back-up for the GSO Customer Services Representative. Receives telephone and written requests via myServices from other embassy offices, officers, and family members. Follows up on myServices requests as needed.
- Serves as the timekeeper for the entire GSO Section.
- Compiles, validates, and submits the bi-weekly time and attendance reports.
- Uses the Win T&A application for data submission. Manages the leave schedule for the entire GSO section.
Note: This position description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the incumbent. Incumbent will be required to perform other duties as assigned by their supervisor.
Qualifications and Evaluations
EXPERIENCE: Three years of experience in admin assistant/secretarial work is required.
Completion of 2 years Advanced Secondary School (form VI) is required.
LANGUAGE: Fluent) (reading, speaking and writing) in English is required and Fluent (reading, speaking and writing) in Kiswahili is required. (this may be tested)
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY (EEO): The U.S. Mission provides equal opportunity and fair and equitable treatment in employment to all people without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, political affiliation, marital status, or sexual orientation.
All applicants under consideration will be required to pass medical and security certifications.
Benefits and Other Info
Level IV (fluent) (reading, speaking and writing) in English is required and Level IV (fluent) (reading, speaking and writing) in Kiswahili is required.
HIRING PREFERENCE SELECTION PROCESS: Applicants in the following hiring preference categories are extended a hiring preference in the order listed below. Therefore, it is essential that these applicants accurately describe their status on the application. Failure to do so may result in a determination that the applicant is not eligible for a hiring preference.
HIRING PREFERENCE ORDER:
AEFM / USEFM who is a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran*
AEFM / USEFM
FS on LWOP and CS with reemployment rights **
* IMPORTANT: Applicants who claim status as a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran must submit a copy of their most recent DD-214 (“Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty”), equivalent documentation, or certification. A “certification” is any written document from the armed forces that certifies the service member is expected to be discharged or released from active duty service in the armed forces under honorable conditions within 120 days after the certification is submitted by the applicant. The certification letter should be on letterhead of the appropriate military branch of the service and contain (1) the military service dates including the expected discharge or release date; and (2) the character of service. Acceptable documentation must be submitted in order for the preference to be given.
** This level of preference applies to all Foreign Service employees on LWOP and CS with re-employment rights back to their agency or bureau.
For more information (i.e., what is an EFM, USEFM, AEFM, MOH, etc.?) and for additional employment considerations, please visit the following link.
How to Apply:
To apply for this position, applicants MUST apply electronically via ERA.
For more information, visit this link https://tz.usembassy.gov/embassy/jobs/
In order to qualify based on education, you MUST submit the requested diploma and / or transcripts as verification of educational requirement by the closing date of this announcement. If you fail to provide requested information, or the information you submit is insufficient to verify your eligibility, you will not be considered for this position.
- Copy of Form VI certificate
- Proof of citizenship
- Other Documents (if any)
- Other Documents 2 (if any)
Applicants who are invited to take a language or skills test, or who are selected for an interview will be contacted only via email.
Thank you for your application and your interest in working at the U.S. Mission in Tanzania.
The deadline for submitting the application is 22 June 2021.