The Josiah Kibira University College (JoKUCo) of Tumaini University Makumira is located in Bukoba Rural District 8 km North of Bukoba Municipality in the Kagera Region of the United Republic of Tanzania.
JoKUCo is a Christ centred University College focusing all its programmes through the guidance of and obedience to the Word of God and by conducting and promoting higher education, learning, research, through scientific fact-finding and enquires, to all students and staff without discrimination.
The Josiah Kibira University College of Tumaini University Makumira was born out of a decision taken in August 2008 by the Synod of the North-Western Diocese of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in Tanzania (ELCT) governed and administered in accordance with the provisions of the constitution establishing it. The question that could be posed is why should the University College be named after Josiah Kibira?
The late Rt. Rev. Dr. Josiah Kibira1, (1925-1988) was one of the great teachers, educators, religious leaders and one of religious ecumenical personalities. He served as a teacher during the colonial times but under a voluntary education agency, becoming also the first African deputy head-master of a mission secondary school from 1955 to 1957; pastor (1960-64) and eventually he was elected and consecrated as the first African Bishop of the North-Western Diocese (1964-1985). He was elected to be the president of the Lutheran World Federation (LWF) as its sixth president – first from the African continent – in the years 1977 to 1984. He made a remark-able contribution to the diocesan spirit of offering social services as far as educational, health and diaconal services are concerned. It is because of his concern to the development of humankind mentally, spiritually and materially that JoKUCo bears his name.
JoKUCo has two faculties, Faculty of Science and Technology and Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences. Through these faculties, the University College offers various academic programmes leading to the award of certificates, diplomas, undergraduate and postgraduate diplomas and degrees.
The main goal of JoKUCo is to be a centre of excellence in providing quality education, not only at university degree level as from 1st degree up to PhD – level later or in research and consultancy activities only but also through training in short and long-term courses and tailor made programmes, certificates and diplomas.
JoKUCo also aims at functioning in a sustainable manner both financially, environmentally and in our relationship to the surrounding community.
VISION AND MISSION STATEMENTS
The Mission of the University is:
- to engage its faculties and students in studies of higher learning com-mitted to the pursuit of truth through scientific research and inquiries
- to promote higher education in its broadest sense, delving into fact-finding under the guidance of and in obedience to the Word of God
- to be sensitive to the pressures which dehumanize society and oppress human kind so as to rescue, elaborate and communicate those elements of national culture which are possible and humanizing while at the same time liberating human capacities and engendering good moral values
- to explore, test and analyse new ideas, models and alternative avenues for development and promotion of a viable and just human society
- to realize hopes and meet the expectations of the ELCT by developing resources from which fresh intellectual and spiritual breezes will spring up and spread out far and wide for the renewal of the Church and soci-ety as a whole.
The Vision of the University:
JoKUCo is a University which
- Empowers students to enhance the formation of their fundamental ca-pabilities, and assists them to think critically and to be skilful in com-munication and methods of inquiry
- Creates a sense of public responsibility in the students and promotes re-spect for learning and the pursuit of truth and mature thinking about the ultimate meaning of human life
- Promotes an understanding of the practical applications of knowledge including historical origin, purpose and meaning of life, a sense of value to life, a balance of intellectual and spiritual health, identification with African culture, and integration of various cultures
- Provides conducive learning and working environment to special needs of women and of persons with common physical disabilities of sight, hearing and movement.